Dean’s Discretionary Fund
As Dean of the College’s Division of Humanities, I welcome proposals for support from the dean’s discretionary fund for 2021-2022. Priority is given to proposals that contain one or more of the following criteria:
1. Research funding requests from faculty members who do not already have a general purpose research fund available to them.
2. Funding requests for conferences or seminars to be held at UCLA, which will benefit many Humanities faculty members and students.
Given that the available funds are limited, the majority of awards are given out in the range of $500 to $1,500, though in exceptional cases higher awards will be made if it is established that several faculty members will benefit. In the case of conference support, the proposal needs to demonstrate that the conference organizers will seek funding from other sources in addition to the Humanities Division.
If you wish to request support for the upcoming deadline, please include:
1. A description of the support you are requesting (conference, seminar, etc.), including a brief statement making a case for the intellectual merits of the project.
2. An itemization of the budget that also details funding requests to all other sources, including the Academic Senate, with information on whether funding has been received.
3. In the case of a workshop or conference, an estimation of the likely number of attendees, and/or a statement of how the event will benefit other faculty members and students at UCLA (with particular reference to Humanities scholars per se).
I also wish to note that applicants should submit funding requests for their project long enough in advance to allow for ample time for a funding decision prior to the project’s own deadline. To assist with this, I am providing you with the submission deadlines for an additional two quarters, as follows:
|Quarter||Request Due By||Funding Decisions By|
|Fall 2021||September 24, 2021||October 15, 2021|
|Winter 2022||January 10, 2022||February 4, 2022|
|Spring 2022||April 11, 2022||May 2, 2022|
Dean, Division of Humanities