The UCLA Division of Humanities in collaboration with UCLA College Honors is a partner university for the Yenching Academy of Peking University.
The Yenching Academy of Peking University builds bridges between China and the rest of the world through an interdisciplinary master’s program in China Studies for outstanding graduates from all over the globe. This initiative brings young people who show promise to lead and innovate in their fields together in an intensive learning environment where they can explore China and its role in the world – past, present, and future. The Academy aims to thereby shape a new generation of global citizens with a nuanced understanding of China.
As a fully funded residential program, the Yenching Academy offers a wide array of interdisciplinary courses on China within broadly defined fields of the Humanities and Social Sciences. Working closely with their academic mentors, Yenching Scholars are granted the flexibility to create their own study paths by choosing from six academic concentrations and participating in a variety of extracurricular activities. Studying at the Academy represents a unique opportunity not only for intercultural and academic exchange, but also for personal and professional development.
Fellowships for international Yenching Scholars are for twelve months, during the course of which they complete their coursework and may complete the thesis. A limited number of financial aid packages are available for those who wish to remain on campus for a second year. Degrees are granted upon the completion of all coursework and satisfactory defense of the thesis, and are awarded in January and July of each year
The UCLA campus deadline for the fall 2018 cohort will be November 10, 2017.
Applicants should consult the following qualifications for eligibility for admission: Applicant Qualifications
All Applicants please submit the following materials via email to Dr. Jennifer A. Lindholm, Assistant Vice Provost for Student Success & Director Honors Programs: email@example.com by the deadline.
PRC passport holders who are not currently attending a Chinese university are not eligible to apply. For further information, please refer to http://yenchingacademy.org/faqs.
- Application Form: Application Yenching Academy and UCLA
- Certificate of English proficiency (IELTS 7 /TOEFL 100 / Cambridge C1 / CEFR 180 or C1) for students whose native language is not English or who are not enrolled in an English course of study
- Official Transcript from bachelor’s degree program and other currently-enrolled program (if any), Please send all hard copies to: UCLA College Honors, Attn: Dr. Jennifer Lindholm, 2300 Murphy
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1438
- Personal statement (maximum 750 words)
- Resume / curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation, please have recommenders send letters directly to Dr. Jennifer Lindholm: firstname.lastname@example.org with this form attached to the letter Recommender Form
** If you are selected by the UCLA committee to have your application forwarded to the Yenching Academy, you will have to apply directly online and UCLA will assist in sending in your letters of recommendation and transcripts.
For questions regarding the UCLA process, please contact Barbara Van Nostrand, Director of Student Affairs and Initiatives: email@example.com
For questions regarding the Yenching Academy, please contact Admissions Manager, Miranda Zuo: firstname.lastname@example.org